• Creator
  • #74531

      Neighbours above installed new floorboards about 12 months ago. They asked for permission for a renovation which was agreed by all owners (except me) as I wanted to see plans. No one else did and they went ahead.

      Now I can hear every footstep above. My unit it company title in Victoria and I’d love to know if I can request an acoustic certificate – though I don’t trust them not to supply a dodgy one from a friend as they are in the building industry.

      • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by .
    Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
    • #74540

        My unit [is] company title in Victoria

        Check your company documents (by-laws, rules, whatever) to see if there is anything about excessive noise.  You probably don’t need an acoustic certificate – just evidence of noise penetration which you can get from stat decs from visitors or recordings using the Snooper software.
        But be warned, as a company title this probably doesn’t come under strata law in Vic. It’s company law in NSW which is a whole other legal minefield.

        The opinions offered in these Forum posts and replies are not intended to be taken as legal advice. Readers with serious issues should consult experienced strata lawyers.

          Bad luck that you live in a Company Title apartment! If you are on the Board of Directors, convene a meeting to air your grievances. Putting carpet or rugs down may be a resolution. If you are not on the Board make representations to the managing agent or Chairman to convene a meeting on your behalf to mediate an agreeable outcome.


            It is indeed a trifecta.  In my case I had to find the Memorandum of Association.  51 pages but as an image – so in the process of getting it typed out.
            The name of the Act you need to look at is:
            Company Titles(Home Units) Act 2013.  No. 19 of 2013 (not sure what that refers to), Authorised Version incorporating amendment as at 1 December 2014


            Also if you have a Contract of Appointment – the SM “takes direction from the Chairperson” – so not sure where that leaves you.




          Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.