Forum: Mystery of a bulge in a bathroom wall


It’s Easter and it’s not only the buns that are hot and cross. It’s bad enough when there is a problem in your block and you don’t know what’s causing it but when an uncooperative neighbour and a slack strata manager are involved everything gets so much worse than it needs to be.

We have one story this week that reveals what happens after five years of push and shove over leaks from an upstairs flat get the downstairs owner nowhere.

When the Flatchatters finally lost it with the SM, a plumber got into the offending flat and noticed a significant bulge in a bathroom wall behind a shower. 

What happened after the plumber took a pickaxe to the wall was as spectacular as it was predictable. That’s HERE (as an addition to an earlier post so read all the way down).  

Meanwhile a couple of Flatchatters are annoyed that work they had all ready to go has been held up because it has to first be approved by a registered design practitioner.

This is part of the new legislation brought in in the wake of the Mascot and Opal towers shambles, when it was decided that all significant building work had to be signed off by someone who was properly trained and qualified to do so.

The result, clearly has been to put a brake both on cowboy contractors and legitimate operators. Is it a good or bad thing?  Maybe both. Have a look HERE.

Elsewhere on the Forum

A strata manager approving repairs on the say-so of tenants and a committee member charging renovations to the strata fund are just some of the issues in a strata scheme that’s rapidly spiralling out of control. That’s HERE

Do additions to common property have to be approved at a general meeting rather than just by the committee?  That’s HERE.

We need to paint the building but the controlling owner who has been blocking the work is now saying it should go back to is original 1950s hues – or something much worse.  That’s HERE.

Finally we find out what to do when your strata manager turns up at a tribunal hearing, charges the strata scheme and they lose the case.  That’s HERE.

The debate over whether tenants should be compensated when repairs to common property mean they can’t access their car park has polarised the Flat Chat Faithful.  That’s HERE.

How to ask and answer questions

Anyone can read our posts any time but now there are several easy ways you can search, access, ask questions and reply to others’ queries. 

The best way these days may be to click on “Forum: Your Qs & A’s” on the top menu bar on a computer screen or on the drop-down menu (three lines) on the right of the screen on phones and tablets, under the Strata Choice ad. Then click on the topic title that interests you, and off you go.  

Alternatively, you can look at the list of “Your latest questions and answers” under the ads on the right of the page on a computer screen. Or at the bottom, after the ads and stories, on a tablet or phone.

Or you can go “old school” and go to the Forum Home Page and work your way through the topics there.

Whichever route you take to get there, the best way to keep up to speed with what’s happening is to register (if you haven’t already done so), then login and subscribe for free to the topics that interest you most.

That way you’ll get an alert whenever the discussion moves forward, and you can also chip in with your own comments and questions.  Have a look HERE at our instant guide to getting online.

If you enjoyed reading this post or found it helpful, please share it with interested friends using our social media buttons. Thanks.

Flat Chat Strata Forum Current Page

  • This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 years ago by .
  • Creator
  • #62504

      It’s Easter and it’s not only the buns that are hot and cross. It’s bad enough when there is a problem in your block and you don’t know what’s causing
      [See the full post at: Forum: Mystery of a bulge in a bathroom wall]

      The opinions offered in these Forum posts and replies are not intended to be taken as legal advice. Readers with serious issues should consult experienced strata lawyers.
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

    Flat Chat Strata Forum Current Page

    Flat Chat Strata Forum Current Page

    scroll to top